"A Touch Of…" by Bursaria is a uniquely new high tea experience held at the Abbotford Convent on the third Sunday of the month alongside the popular Skirts and Shirts Market.
For high tea with a twist, you can’t go past Bursaria.
“A Touch Of…” by Bursaria is a uniquely new high tea experience held at the Abbotford Convent on the third Sunday of the month alongside the popular Skirts and Shirts Market.
The High Tea Society had the pleasure of taking high tea at Bursaria and meeting founder Sara O’Callaghan, who started the ever-growing event just over a year ago.
Ms O’Callaghan said she wanted the Bursaria high tea to reflect the creative vibe of the Abbotsford Convent, using locally sourced produce to create delightful treats in-house. She doesn’t disappoint.
The scene is set with a welcome glass of sparkling in the spacious courtyard, while the glamorous roving entertainment Bravo Darling is a confection of its own with their sumptuous costumes.
High tea goers are then led into the Rosina Function Space and are served with a tantalising array of canapés presented on a wooden board.
The slow-cooked beef caramelized onion and thyme filo cigar melted in your mouth and was my personal favourite, while my companion preferred the light and fresh honey-cured salmon with remoulade on dill blinis. Next came a selection of finger sandwiches, skewered prawns and a shot glass of cream of broccoli soup that left you wanting more.
For dessert, a three-tier cake stand presented a delicious range of scones, crème brulee, mini lemon meringue, organic chocolate pots and a rosewater meringue. The best was a vanilla, rose and pistachio panna cotta served in a shot glass with a pomegranate topping and fairy floss embellishment. For those wanting seconds (and thirds), more desserts were sent around the tables on roving dessert boards.
Tea, coffee and home-made lemonade is offered throughout the service. To top it off, high tea goers are serenaded with a DJ and live motown music. As Ms O’Callaghan says herself, it’s not your traditional high tea – but it’s a pleasantly indulgent afternoon nonetheless.
Bursaria High Tea Menu:
- Honey-cured salmon with remoulade on dill blinis
- Poached chicken, almond, celery teenie tiny sandwiches
- Skewers of herb and citrus prawns wrapped in noodles, with lemon aioli
- Cream of broccoli and Maffra cheddar soup w red pepper tapenade
- Slow cooked beef, caramelized onion and thyme filo cigar with tomato relish
- King Island blue cheese and pear chutney served on fig and walnut bread
- Crème brulee, lightly scented with lavender Mini lemon meringue pies
- Scones w raspberry jam and double cream
- Organic chocolate pots, salted caramel toffee, clotted cream
- Rosewater meringue, seasonal berries, marscarpone cream
- Vanilla, rose and pistachio panna cotta, pomegranate syrup