The NGV High Tea ticks all the boxes of a high tea experience: a variety of teas, check, finger sandwiches, check, scones with cream and jam, check and a selection of cakes and pastries, check.
The atmosphere in the NGV Tea Room is stylishly relaxed, with a focus on people watching, socializing and enjoying the food and tea.
For our visit to the NGV we enjoyed the Sparkling High Tea option, and found that even with empty tummies the spread provided was more than we could finish! The sandwiches were the highlight for me – the incredibly fresh, excellent ratio of filling to bread and deliciously traditional fillings.
The cakes and scones provided a sweet treat to balance out the savoury items, but on this occasion, for me, the savoury bites stole all the limelight.
View this post on Instagram
Included in our afternoon excursion was a visit to the Alexander McQueen: Mind, Mythos, Muse exhibition at the NGV International.
This retrospective of the late fashion designer’s work, featuring over 100 pieces from a mind boggling 36 collections (spanning from 1992 to 2010) gave us plenty to talk about over our afternoon treats. The exhibition includes garments, accessories, film, and photographs showcasing McQueen’s innovative designs and artistic vision. It runs until 16 April 2023 – when this current high tea menu will also change over. Admission fees apply for the exhibition entry.
What we enjoyed.
NGV International Tea Room High Tea Menu:
Selection of freshly cut finger sandwiches:
- Coronation chicken, mango chutney, garam masala
- Heritage leg ham, piccalilli, cucumber
- Free range egg, mayonnaise, mustard, watercress (v)
- Cold smoked Tasmanian salmon, cream cheese, dill
- Tartlet, dressed local crab, finger lime
- Petite pie of slow cooked veal & gremolata
- Vegetable Cornish pasty (v)
- Passionfruit & macadamia macaron (lg, v)
- Strawberries & cream éclair (v)
- Raspberry cranachan (v) (a)
- Bitter chocolate Jaffa cake
- 2 traditional scones served with cream and jam
- Served with a pot of T2 tea or Lavazza coffee
- To add sparkling wine or Champagne