The Langham Melbourne offers a number of different high teas, with its signature high tea the Afternoon Tea with Wedgwood.
Both Wedgwood and The Langham have a history steeped in tea. It was Queen Charlotte of England in the mid 18th century who began the trend of drinking tea from Wedgwood china. And it was just over 100 years ago at The Langham in London that the first commercial afternoon tea was served.
So you won’t be surprised to learn that the Langham takes its afternoon tea very seriously. When you book in for afternoon tea you can be assured your tea is being made by a trained tea sommelier, on hand to ensure the tea you order is both prepared and served at the perfect temperature.
Pair this impeccable tea making knowledge with the teaware designed by Wedgwood especially for The Langham – it’s safe to say these guys are tea fanatics.
Included with a weekday afternoon tea is a glass of sparkling wine sourced from Victoria’s Mornington Peninsula. Our afternoon tea consisted of traditional petite fours, ribbon sandwiches along with scones and jam. Our scones (traditional as well as raisin) were served with rose petal and strawberry preserve, butter and clotted cream. They came wrapped in a cloth napkin to keep them both warm and moist.
While our scones were kept cosy we had time to enjoy mini smoked salmon cucumber and horseradish creme fraiche rolls, free range bred smoked ham with tomato chutney and English cheddar cheese sandwich, avocado watercress heirloom tomato salad and baby basil sandwich, and free range chicken with chives and lemon thyme sandwich.
The petit fours included an array of sweet and flavoursome options, the salted caramel and macadamia crunchy tart was a favourite. With plenty of colour and touches of gold, beautiful glossy finishes and fun and frivolous decoration, the top two storeys of our afternoon tea was designed to both thrill and satisfy.
Throughout our Afternoon Tea experience the Langham staff were incredibly attentive and more than happy to share with us insights into their beloved Afternoon Tea with Wedgwood. If you’re curious to know who on the floor is the tea sommelier, they are defined by either their Wedgwood cufflinks or tie pin.
If the fine art of brewing tea is something of interest to you be sure to check out the special tea making station the Langham has, set up with two different urns providing the optimum temperatures for both the traditional black tees and the herbal teas. The Langham tea menu includes nine different Wedgwood teas, three different green teas and four special Langham signature tea blends. There is no mistaking the Langham’s passion for tea!
In Melbourne during the school holidays The Langham Melbourne offers special high tea experiences designed specifically for children and teenagers; a wonderful way to share memories and tea across many generations.
Afternoon Tea with Wedgwood Menu
- Smoked salmon cucumber and horseradish creme fraiche sandwich
- Free range bred smoked ham with tomato chutney and English Cheddar sandwich
- Avocado watercress heirloom tomato salad and baby basil sandwich
- Free range chicken with chives and lemon thyme sandwich
- Salted caramel and macadamia crunchy tart
- Valrhona Manjari chocolate sphere, hazelnut and sable biscuit
- Passionfruit and mango macaron
- Ivoire chocolate mousse with raspberry and pistachio
- Strawberry citrus choux
- Mushroom meringue with Chantilly cream
- Warm traditional buttermilk and raisin scones served with strawberry and rose petal preserve, butter and clotted cream
- Choose from a range of teas with the assistance of our tea sommelier
High Tea for Teens
The Langham, Melbourne has been serving children’s high teas since 2010. Some of the youngest fans have since out grown the kiddy style high teas so the hotel has introduced the “Designer Teen High Teas”.
Ever so chic high tea has been designed to a teen. From a pastel rose meringue, a pretty in pink blush macaron, a handcrafted gold donut to a modern day choc-top mousse waffle cone.
Reviews for this venue:
- 3 July 2022: Afternoon Tea at The Langham Melbourne
- 10 October 2018: High Tea at the Aria Bar, Langham Melbourne
- 23 February 2013: Art and Afternoon Tea with Kerrie Hess, Melbourne
- 4 June 2010: Afternoon Tea Chocolate Bar at The Langham Melbourne