Indulge in Kirsten Tibballs’ heavenly Caramel Slice with Milk Chocolate Ganache—a chocolate lover’s dream.
Just when you think caramel slice (sometimes known as millionaire’s shortbread) can’t get any better, Kirsten Tibballs bring you this new level of decadence. What makes this caramel slice so good? Chocolate, of course. Here you’ll find it nestled in the biscuit base, humming in the caramel filling and crowning this slice in the form of a glossy ganache.
Images and text from Chocolate All Day by Kirsten Tibballs, photography by Armelle Habib. Murdoch Books RRP $49.99.
- 125 g (4½ oz) unsalted butter, melted
- 200 g (7 oz) soft brown sugar
- 120 g (4¼ oz) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 50 g (1¾ oz) desiccated coconut
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 50 g (1¾ oz) good-quality milk chocolate, roughly chopped
- 80 g (2¾ oz) unsalted butter, cubed
- 80 g (2¾ oz) soft brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 395 ml (13¾ fl oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 90 g (3¼ oz) good-quality dark chocolate
- 250 g (9 oz) good-quality milk chocolate
- 100 ml (3½ fl oz) thickened (whipping) cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 30 g (1 oz) liquid glucose
- pinch of sea salt
- To make the biscuit base, preheat the oven to 160°C (315°F) fan-forced. Grease a slice (slab) tin, 27.5 x 17.5 cm (11 x 6¾ inches) and 3.5 cm (1¼ inches) high. Line the base and sides of the tin with baking paper and set aside until required.
- Put the melted butter and brown sugar in a bowl and mix with a wooden spoon to combine. Add the flour, coconut and cinnamon. Continue to mix until the ingredients come together.
- Add the milk chocolate and mix to combine.
- Press the mixture into the base of the prepared baking tin to create an even layer.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside at room temperature.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 140°C (275°F) fan-forced.
- For the caramel filling, combine the butter, brown sugar and vanilla in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted and the sugar has completely dissolved, reduce the heat to low, add the condensed milk and whisk continuously until the mixture begins to simmer. Continuing to whisk, cook for a further 3 minutes until the mixture begins to thicken slightly.
- Remove from the heat and add the dark chocolate. Mix until the chocolate is melted and incorporated into the caramel.
- Pour the caramel filling over the biscuit base and spread to create an even layer.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave the slice to cool completely at room temperature.
- For the ganache topping, place the chocolate in a bowl.
- Combine the cream, vanilla, glucose and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil, then pour the mixture over the chocolate. Gently whisk until the chocolate is completely melted and incorporated into the other ingredients.
- Pour the ganache over the cooled caramel layer and spread evenly. (For a less rich version, make the slice without the ganache topping.)
- Place the slice in the fridge for 30 minutes to set.
- Remove the caramel slice from the tin and cut it into 18 rectangles, approximately 9 x 2.8 cm (3½ x 1¼ inches).
- Store the slice in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.