Serves 6 finished cakes
8 small cake tins
Red Velvet Cake is a modern classic. This rich, moist, dark red chocolatey sponge cake with cream cheese frosting is a crowd pleaser.
This recipe is from Chapter & Verse at the JW Marriott Gold Coast and features in their Valentine’s Day High Tea menu.
- Butter 884g
- Caster sugar 2574g
- Eggs whole 936g
- Vanilla Essence 26g
- Plain flour 2756g
- Cocoa powder 130g
- Salt 36g
- Milk 1560g
- Yoghurt 520g
- Red food colour liquid 338g
- Vinegar 36ml
- Bicarb soda 36g
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Icing mixture 4500g
- Cream cheese 3000g
- Butter 1500g
Preparation Cake Base:
- Cream the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla together in a mixer machine.
- Mix the sifted flour, cocoa and salt together.
- Mix the milk, yoghurt & food colour and add alternatively with the flour mix in 3 stages.
- Mix the vinegar and bicarb and add to the mix until well combined.
- Pour mix into well-oiled frames. Weigh each frame with 800g each of mixture.
- Bake at 175c for 15-20 minutes. Remove and cool.
- When cooled, sandwich 750g of frosting between two slabs and 700g of frosting on the top.
- Set and portion.
- Mix all ingredients together until light and fluffy.