This delightful Chocolate Choux recipe is from the High Tea at the Hearth Restaurant at The Ritz-Carlton, Perth.
- Water 100ml
- Milk 100ml
- Caster sugar 3g
- Salt 2g Butter 80g
- Plain Flour 120g
- Eggs 210g
- In a saucepan, bring water, milk, sugar, salt and butter to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the sifted flour all at once. Place the pan back over medium heat and cook the paste to dry it out, stirring continuously for 2-3 minutes. A thin film will form on the bottom and the paste will pull away from the pan.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment and beat the mixture to release the steam.
- Allow the mixture to cool to 50 degrees so as to not cook the eggs when added.
- Slowly incorporate eggs until batter is at the correct consistency.
- Pipe onto tray with a silpat mat. Freeze before baking.
- To bake, thaw choux on a perforated tray with a silpat mat. Apply craquelin on top. Bake at 180 degrees for 20 minutes or until firm and golden brown.
- Almond meal 30g
- Caster sugar 30g
- Plain Flour (sifted) 30g
- Soft butter 30g
- Cocoa powder(sifted) 2g
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Add soft butter and incorporate until dough has just formed. Chill in the fridge until firm.
- Roll out dough using sheeter or rolling pin to 2mm thickness. Freeze sheeted dough. Cut rounds when needed and place on choux just before baking.
Dark Chocolate Ganache
- Whipping cream (A) 420ml
- Cocoa powder 12.5g
- Glucose 30g
- Trimoline 30g
- Dark chocolate 64% 190g
- Whipping cream (B) 290ml
- Boil cream and cocoa powder in a pot, keep whisking until smooth. Warp with clingwrap to steep and infuse for 20 minutes.
- Pour the cocoa cream over chocolate. Add cream (B) and mix with whisk or a hand blender until smooth consistency.
- Chill overnight.
- Whip when needed using a whisk. Be careful not to overwhip.
- Sugar Butter
- Plain Flour Cocoa
- Dry yeast
- Mix butter and sugar with
- Add dry ingredients and continue to mix till a smooth dough forms.
- Knead briefly and crumble into trays.
- Bake at 180oC until crispy.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Take one choux puff, pipe the dark chocolate ganache on top. Sprinkle chocolate crumble and add another choux on top.